Thursday, April 26, 2007

Preparation, Perspiration + Determination


Well, what can I say? I made it!

In truth, there were many times I thought I'd never get to write this post, especially when I went down with a flu/chest infection only 6 weeks before the race. During that time I didn't train for 3 weeks so the last week before the marathon was quite intense, with me desperately trying to catch up with my planned training regime.

The Sunday before the marathon I just about managed a 3 mile run but then 6 on Monday, 9 on Tuesday, 12 on Wednesday and a 22 mile run/walk on Thursday had me in mentally good shape. We got to London on the Saturday to register and stayed overnight in a hotel. Early night after a bowl of pasta and woke early on the Sunday feeling relaxed. Had a healthy breakfast and left hotel with time in hand.

Then disaster struck!

A tube train decided to break down in the tunnel under the Thames, blocking all tube traffic, the only way to the start at Greenwich, on the other side of the Thames. After waiting on our train for 30 minutes and then being shuttled off to another stationary train, I decided to take my risks elsewhere. This was about 30 minutes from start time and I was still 4 mile from the start line!!

Of course, that part of London was cordoned off so there was very little transport around. My basic plan was to catch a cab and get as close as I could and then run from there. Best laid plans and all that. No cabs (I did flag 2 down but they told me there was no way through) so all I could do was run (and walk when I realized the cause was lost) to the start. With 26 miles to run, I went and added 4 miles to the journey!! Still, I managed to get across the start line around 30 minutes behind schedule and off I went.

To be honest, because of the train trouble I wasn't alone and it wasn't long before I was overtaking some of the early walkers. Mind you, my race plan had been shot to bits and I had to step on it to avoid being overtaken by the 'sweep up bus', which is the official tail of the marathon (which is followed by the paint removers, barrier removers, sweeper uppers etc.). I was determined to stay in the race proper and despite having already covered 4 miles prior to starting, I felt pretty good after the first 10km. The crowd were ABSOLUTELY fantastic and despite 'running' at our sedate pace the cheers for the laggards were as big as for the front runners. As the temperature started to rise, it got tougher. Officially, temperatures reached 23.5C but it felt a lot hotter in some places. I drank 7 litres of water! No wonder they ran out of water at some stations as we were all very thirsty (Note to organisers: The unfittest people are at the back of the race and they need water too!). As you can see from my times, after the first hour I started to slow considerably but I'm proud to report that I ran all the way around, apart from when I was drinking the water and then I walked. Like I said, the crowd were FANTASTIC and there must have been over 1,000,000 watching. What was so heartening was here were total strangers, shouting out your name and just ENCOURAGING. They also offered much needed jelly babies, slices of orange, boiled sweets etc.etc., all paid for out of their own pocket. IT WAS THAT SUPPORT THAT GOT ME THROUGH. Do you know what happens when you're knackered and someone offers you a jelly baby from their outstretched hand? You keep going, that's what. You know someone cares, enough to give you a jelly baby and trust me, that's more than enough.

MORAL TO THE TALE

In the last 6 months, I have lost around 18lbs. I am now fitter than I have ever been. I have also raised over $2500 for my chosen charities, with more to come. (A sincere thanks to all those that have donated). I've also had a lot of quiet running time, a time for reflection (never could get my mp3 to work) and many of my 'problems' I have found a solution to. I have made remarkable progress in my business and that will come to fruition later this year. I still have work to do on some relationships but I will work on those in the coming months (now I'm not running so much). I guess what I'm trying to say is that this whole thing has been an immensely satisfying and rewarding experience. Just think, I couldn't run a mile 6 months ago! I encourage you, no, I implore you, to challenge your future, to see what you can achieve with a little bit of Preparation, Perspiration + Determination.

I'm sure, that like me, you will be amazed at the results.

Finally, there must have been every nationality, creed, color and religion in that crowd on Sunday and it gives me great hope for the future. I didn't see anybody in that crowd wanting to go to war or to see people suffer. No, they just wanted a good time and to help so as not to see others in too much pain.

Now, there's a recipe for the future, let's get rid of all these weapons and spend that money helping others from around the world get through their own individual marathon of life. We can do it! Regardless of creed, color, race or religion, if we just cheered each other on and gave a little bit of help when we could, I'm sure as a race, as a human race, we would be, just like I was, amazed at the difference we would all make.

Trust me, one jelly baby goes a long way...

No comments: