Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Off The Island + Running For Charity

Well, we're getting serious now. Ran 18 miles on Friday (well, walked 2 of them but had to get off the island as the island is only 12 miles in circumference) and the plan was to run 20 this week. However, my wife has decided to give me her lurgy so I'm not feeling up to anything at the moment. Anyway, good for weight loss as I sweated buckets last night (urrgghh!) as the good guys (white blood cells) waged war with whatever is trying to undermine my efforts to finish this marathon in one piece. That reminds me of how all this started:

It was mid October 2006 and I was lying there, soaking up the last of the summer sun in the south of France. We'd had a sumptuous lunch of local cheese, crusty bread and the obligatory bottle of red wine. I was just about to doze off but something was blocking my view – my stomach!! In fact, if we'd been on the beach Greenpeace would have tried to put me back in!! Over 15 stone and 5 foot nine shouldn't belong in the same sentence but that is where I was, technically obese.

I also couldn't run a mile.

It was in that moment I decided I had to do something about my 'growing' problem.

"I think I'll run a marathon" was just one of 12,000 thoughts I had that day but it has led to number 41750 running around the inner London suburbs on April 22nd, all 26 miles and 385 yards of them! In fact, it has led to a whole lot more than that and I am now in training proper. I also ran in a half marathon at Silverstone (see below) so with that, I was just about halfway there.

It's not all about my stomach though and I'm hoping to raise £4,000 for Mencap (helping people with learning disability), a school in Ghana (can't afford a padlock, let alone books and desks) and the homeless in Colchester (why are they so?).

This is where you come in. On Friday I ran/walked 18 miles and there was nothing left in the locker. What with jogger's nipple and other delicate parts becoming far too delicate to mention, I was struggling. My legs had given way and my puff was gone. I'll be 49 this year, I'm just too old and too unfit to do this and I need your help to get me over the finishing line. I know by the time mile 20 comes, all I will be thinking of is how much money I'm raising by doing this. Literally, those thoughts will fuel each staggered step. So, please find below a donation button and just do what you can. 100% of the proceeds are going to the above causes so please ask friends and family to help if you want to. Please complete by April 14th so I have an idea what's at stake, especially for those last 6 miles.

Finally, let me say a big THANK YOU in advance. I really do appreciate your help and I know I won't make it without you.

Thanks again and all the very best, Allen








100% Of Proceeds To Charity






No comments: