Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Anniversary Poem 9/11

This is the first poem relating to the dreadful events of 11th September 2001.

(Written on the 12th September 2001)

The World And It's Soul (Part I)

Today I am in mourning,
the world lays heavy on my heart,
I know I have to get something down,
but I just don't know where to start.

Words have been my friend,
at most times they've served me well,
but today they are so inadequate,
because this story is so very hard to tell.

Everything for a reason,
or at least that's what I thought,
but try adding up the logic,
and today it comes to naught.

There's a baby crying somewhere,
her Daddy won't be coming home tonight,
he was in the wrong place at the wrong time,
and got involved in someone else's fight.

And as the chaos unfolded,
the sun in the sky brightly shone,
but it too seemed strangely sad,
the warmth in its smile had simply gone.

The images will always haunt me,
one last jump to save their lives,
one last thought of their children,
one last thought of their wives.

The Brothers, the brave rescue workers,
who went in when most would have fled,
so courageous and dedicated to the end,
maybe that's enough said...

Apart from; I am not a vengeful man,
but I too, have an unyielding anger deep inside,
and I pray that they get these bastards,
and that they have no place left to hide.

My children have lost their innocence,
so too the World as it grieved as one.
How do you explain this madness?
What can you tell your teenage son?

My heart goes out to the families,
and to the American nation as a whole,
for today I lost a part of me,
and so has the World and it's soul.

Copyright Allen Jesson :( 2001
www.agiftofpoetry.com


This is the first poem relating to the dreadful events of 11th September 2001. The second poem follows. (You can see more at www.agiftofpoetry.com)

No comments: