Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Power of Gift Poetry. The Power of Dreams.

When I look back at my life and see how it has changed in the last ten years, I, for one, can see the power in poetry (and the enormous power that is released when someone follows their dreams). Ten years ago, I was the typically lost 35 year old. I had a young family to raise and was struggling to hold down a high-powered job in the logistics industry. The pay was good and I worked very hard. I'd come home at night very weary but I still had trouble sleeping.
My addictions (to gambling, nicotine and alcohol) were increasing in magnitude and my soul was becoming less than happy with the direction my life was taking. Sure, I had the nice house, attractive wife and beautiful children, high-paying job, good holidays and everything else that goes with a "successful" career. But I wasn't happy. In truth, I was stressed to buggery and on Monday mornings my heart was heavy. Friday nights I felt better but the week had taken it's toll and it wasn't until Sunday afternoon that I started to feel "normal" once again, but then the whole weekly cycle would start all over again …

And then things started to change, and all it took was one poem.At school I found writing poetry remarkably easy. I was always quite creative growing up but I think most kids are. As you know, no one can make a living out of poetry ) so that's why I found a career in logistics.
As a consequence I didn't write again for 20 years. At a management course we were encouraged to get in touch with our artistic side.
That inspired "What If?" a few months later, the rest followed. For me, this period demonstrated the absolute life changing power of poetry.

For the record, this was it, a questioning look at those middle-aged tremors that I was experiencing.

Full post and story can be found at a great place for your next anniversary gift and or if you're looking for a gift of love, then I think they can help too.

No comments: