Monday, October 30, 2006

How I Lost 7Ibs In ONE Week!!

Hi,


Quite remarkable really but I got on the scales this morning and yes, it was official, I had lost 7lbs in just one week!!


How did I do it? Of course, my running helped, I have been slowly increasing the length of my runs each day and now I am nearly up to three miles. Today I will run the 3 miles and will keep going like that until I get to the 26.

So that extra exercise has obviously helped. The other major factor has been my detox diet, which effectively means coming off caffeine (so no tea or coffee), dairy (no milk, cream), preservatives, flavourings and colourings. Sugar and fats such as butter are also out. By the way, so are wheat based products, such as bread. Blimey, what's left to eat then? Plenty!! I haven't been hungry once. By the way, the first time you try such a drastic change to your diet you are going to feel pretty strange for a few days, but by the 3rd or 4th day you should start to feel pretty good, with a lot more energy in fact. One word of caution, this is obviously a major change to most so if in doubt, please seek medical advice first, I am not a dietician, I'm just sharing what has worked for me.

Of course, I'd already given up alcohol a few weeks back so that was one major hurdle I'd already overcome. I do miss my morning cup of coffee though and I'm looking forward to the gurgling sound of my coffee maker on Friday morning when I finish this detox stint. Actually, in those 7 days I haven't been totally good and I've had about 4 cups of (caffeined) tea and a couple of chocolate bars. But apart from that, no problems really. For the record, this has been the diet:

Breakfast: Jilly's Breakfast Crumble. Made with plums from the garden and the crumble is made of rolled oats and olive oil, instead of the traditional topping. Jilly adds honey and some mixed fruit to the mix and bakes it in the oven for about an hour. We eat it cold every morning, topped with some low fat yoghurt or fromage frois. Delicious!!!

Hot Drinks: Dandelion Tea mostly, we also have this toasted dandelion root tea which is quite nice too. Any herbal tea will do but watch out for the flavourings in the fruit teas.

Lunch: Of course, it's my Turkey and Tomato Soup. Delicious!!!

Afternoon Snack: Normally an apple (or a spoon or two of that crumble, can't stay away from it :o)

Evening Meals: Easy really. Grilled fish or chicken, served with steamed, grilled or roasted vegetables. We use an olive oil spray for the grilling and roasting and that works well. Sprinkle with a few fresh or dried herbs during or after cooking. For a dressing, I normally mix some lot fat fromage frois with some dijon mustard and some lemon juice. Again, add fresh herbs if in the mood.


That's it really, not rocket science. Plenty of exercise and food NOT ready made out of a packet.

To finish off I thought I'd share my updated map because I've now found a new tool on the marathon site that maps and measures out the distance for you. How sad!!


No comments: